Friday, December 3, 2010

Progress report

Where do I begin?

That's usually what I wail when I look around the house at the debris strewn over every flat surface in sight!

I've come to realize that I need a system to keep order in this chaos. I can clean one room at a time until the cows come home, but it won't STAY tidy when there are 9 other bodies inhabiting the area! So a system has to come into play, one that is easy to follow, quick, and doesn't stress me out at those witching hours of the day when I want to be more focused on getting kids through the door, or through dinner, baths and bed.

I put up a corkboard near my computer and I've put 8 (5x3) cards on it. The top row has my morning and evening pick ups written on them. The rest are labelled Monday through to Saturday and have a specific target area written on them. I wrote these tasks in pencil because I know that things change when life patterns change. This way I can easily erase and redo when I need to.

Morning Pick Up

1. Make sure ALL beds are made.

2. Pick up the bathrooms. (wipe counter and sink, toss rubbish and put out fresh hand towel)

3. Clean up the kitchen. (this one could take me all day!)

Evening Pick Up

1. Complete the days mail and business accounts.

2. Put away ALL laundry.

3. Pick up clutter spots. ( might have to target 1 at a time for the moment!)

On the other cards, I have written a mopping zone, or a vacuuming zone, or a baking time, or a room tidy. ironing features in there too as well as making sure the kids do their chores on Saturday.


Hopefully, this system will be the answer I've been searching for, I'm so tired of looking at the mess and really over being embarrassed when unexpected visitors knock on the door. And let's face it, if I want to begin a new venture next year, I NEED to be more organized.

I know the kids will have to get on board as well if this is to work, some rewards may be in order for those who jump in and pull their weight. Right now, they are expected to wash and dry their own breakfast dishes as well as 1 chore every morning. In the evenings they are expected to do another chore and help with drying the dinner dishes. Saturdays have an added bonus of yet another chore! :) These ones are a little larger and are intended to teach them life skills. I usually help the younger ones with these chores. They are also expected to tidy their rooms! :/ However, I have allotted time during the week to clean the younger kids rooms.


With the folder I now carry with all my monthly calender planners, and with a new housework system in place, life should get a whole lot easier!

Just in time for Christmas! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment