Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best laid plans of mice and men..............

Well,

that certainly fizzled big time! I mean, what was I thinking? Did I really imagine I was going to have time to plot and plan and shop for an activity for the kids for every day? Right before Christmas too? I think I need my head checked, seriously!

Oh well, another goal to aim for for the rest of the school holidays, along with teaching Eth to drive a car, sewing every project I have planned, teaching the girls to ride their new bikes and keeping on top of the housework! Think I'd better get planning so it all fits in, hehe.

At least the housework is reasonably under control, as in I'm not so embarrassed to open the front door to let visitors in. Today, I ran both washing machines at once and did 10 loads of washing. Maybe, I'll be able to only wash every 3 days instead of each day from now on. It'll work over summer as long as the wind and heat remain anyway. I am glad for the school holidays so I can practice new routines and get into better housekeeping habits. That way, there should be more time for the things I want to do for myself and with the kids.

It's good not being able to go out easily with all of them, as we have to stay home and entertain ourselves. Rob has set up the backyard with the trampoline, a reasonable sized paddling pool, the swing set and a basketball hoop that we gave Ashton for Christmas. The kids are loving being outside in the morning and in the cool of the afternoon. I get to do the ironing, cook dinner or wash dishes while I'm watching them. So far it's working well.

We had a lovely Christmas Day, with even a few hours sleep before unwrapping Santa's delivery! We didn't go overboard this year on spending and it felt good that they still appreciated what they received. The feast was wonderful, with Lorinda and Ingrid both pitching in with the cooking and prep work. Certainly made my day so much easier.




We have a tradition that half the kids choose the menu for Christmas lunch. Odd numbers one year, then evens the next. This year was evens, so Ingrid chose (and made) Chicken Caesar Salad; Jacquie chose Yum Cha (we bought it from the local Asian shop); Ashton chose Nori Maki (which Lorinda ordered form a Japanese lunch bar); Colt chose gingerbread biscuits (which Lorinda baked) and Taffy "chose" Princess Cupcakes (which were never made as there was too much food!). We also had a roast turkey buff, roast pork, garlic prawns and peri peri prawns. The kids were already stuffed on lollies as usual, so there was plenty of left overs of tea. We drank Iced Strawberry and Cream Tea, beer, lemon, lime and bitters, coke and creaming soda. Lorinda had a couple rum and cokes too.

Breakfast was pop tarts and fruit smoothies, yummy!

All in all, a very good day and I wasn't completely wiped out for once. Next year, I will aim for a midnight bedtime though! It's good to have a goal..........

No comments:

Post a Comment