Does anyone else feel like Christmas is feeling less Christmas-sy?
Maybe I just need to listen to more carols and write more lists and check them twice, but I feel a little Bah Humbug-ish this year.
And that truly, is not like me at all!
Christmas is my favourite day of the year, so why aren't I leaping about like a lord?
Once upon a time, Christmas was simple. We put up decorations, we baked lots of goodies, we gave gifts and received gifts, and we visited friends and family, and they visited us.
Now it seems like I have to walk a tight rope at Christmas.
Some people bemoan the commercialism that has smothered gift-giving, hitting us in our hip pocket and leaving us in debt for the New Year. Some complain that it's impossible to find a reasonably priced gift that isn't something the recipient will re-gift to some one else NEXT Christmas! Some complain that it's all too time consuming, we should give gift cards or vouchers so the receiver can get better value for money in the sales after Christmas.
"BAH HUMBUG!!!" I want to scream at the world.
Some family members don't want to partake in the gift-giving, and while I respect that everyone is entitled to their opinion, it somehow muddies a family Christmas gathering when we have to surreptitiously slip gifts to the ones who aren't abstaining. The kids can no longer sit and open their gifts slowly and appreciate what it is and who it came from, for fear of upsetting the children who are not allowed to get any gifts!
My dear, sensible sister, who is feeling much the same as me, actually made a wonderful decision today! She wrote on my FB wall "I have decided I am not going to be a sheep for our family Christmas this year!! I AM doing presents AND giving them out on the day!! Don't care if any apple-carts get upset!"
My heart gave a cheer!
As mums, we set the tone for every occasion and every day for our families. We need to see where our joy is being stolen, and restore it as much as we are able, in any circumstance. Sometimes, it will be difficult, but in the end, our kids are the ones who benefit from the memories we make for them.
I am so grateful to God for giving us the perfect Gift of His Son, Jesus, because he loves us so much! To my mind, Christmas is a party, to celebrate this Special Birthday.
And parties have certain elements that are a given for it to be a success: family, friends, decorations, music, good food and gifts.
It is a time to celebrate and remember that we are free, indeed!
God Bless Us, Every One!
When I was a kid and asked Mom why we gave and got presents for Christmas, she told me we were celebrating Jesus's birthday, and because He loved us so much we give the presents to each other, instead of just to Him. Now that I'm older, I still like that, but I also see that at least among Christians, we are also giving the gifts to Him, because He is in us. And even when, and maybe especially when, we give to nonbelievers, we are giving to Him because it is better to give than receive, and His is in us as we give.
ReplyDeleteChrist love joy. While materialism isn't great, and I agree Christmas can be tainted by it, the key isn't in denying joy, but in redeeming joy from greed, which is the enemy of joy anyway.
"As mums, we set the tone for every occasion and every day for our families." This really resonated with me today. Thank you for your insight and wisdom. I agree with finding the joy and teaching our children to find the joy for themselves and others. xx
ReplyDelete